Custom Search Engine
We all are pretty much aware about Search boxes, but have you ever tried to set up a search box in your own website? This tutorial will simply teach you to make your site searchable using Google Custom Search Engine.
What is Google Custom Search?
Step 2: Go to Google Custom Search Home Page and Click on “Create a custom search engine” button.
Step 3: On the next page, enter the sites in Site to Search box that you want to include. You can add any sites, site URL, Individual sites, Entire domain, Parts of the site etc. After that you can choose a language. Then you should specify a name for your search engine. The name is only for your personal use. It is not visible to users. Now Click on Create button.
Step 4: The next page will show you three buttons- Get Code, Public URL and Control Panel.
Get Code button will provide you a piece of code that you have to copy paste on your website/blog wherever you want it to appear. Paste the code inside the <div> </div> element of your body section. If you are using the two column layout option, then you have to place the code where you want to display the search box and where you want to display the search results.
Public URL button will help you to view the Google Custom Search on the web.
Ok. Now see Google custom search engine is displayed on your site.
Manage Control Panel
2. In Set up option, you can see five other tabs- Basics, Make money, Admin, Indexing and Advanced.
In Basics tab, you should provide basic details for your search engine. Here you can include sites in your search engine by clicking add button given under Sites to Search. If you want to add Individual URL, then click on add button and select an option. Or if you want to add bulk URL’s, then click on add button and select Include sites in bulk option.
3. In Look and Feel option, you have four tabs – layout, themes, customize and thumbnails. Here you can set the layout, themes, customize the look and feel and enable/disable thumbnails of your search engine.
4. In search features, you can create a promotion, can provide option for refining search results, can enable auto complete, can provide synonyms for user’s search queries and can enable or disable more advanced features.
5. In statistics and logs, you can see three tabs such as Stats, Google Analytics and Audit Log. There you get the description and you will understand what actually they mean.
6. From Business option, you can select option whether you want to display ads on search results pages.
The purpose of this tutorial was to add a Google custom search engine to your website or blog in a quick and easy way. So this tutorial did not include any additional feature settings. You can always make changes in control panel to refine your settings.